The establishment of the Malaysian Energy Professionals Association (MEPA), formally registered in April, 2002, is aimed at creating a pool of dedicated professionals in energy conservation.
The setting up of MEPA was an activity of the Malaysian Industrial Energy Efficiency Improvement Project (MIEEIP) a project implemented by Pusat Tenaga Malaysia and co-financed by the Government of Malaysia, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Malaysian private sector. Indirectly the establishment of MEPA falls under the utilisation objective of the National Energy Policy.
- To provide a platform for members to exchange experiences on energy-related issues.
- To increase the knowledge base, understanding and expertise of members through outreach programmes such as seminars, forums and trainings, while encouraging research and development
- To collect, analyse and disseminate information related to energy
- To represent the interest and welfare of its members
- To be the focal point and channel of communication with the government on matters related to energy by providing recommendations on policy, regulations and planning
- To raise public awareness and understanding of issues and practices in the energy field such as the rational use of energy; renewable energy, etc
- To foster cooperation among organisations and professionals in the energy sector
- To participate actively in international for a to boost knowledge and research in energy